WSET Level 1 Award Wine £160
Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses provide globally recognised qualifications which are suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts. As a WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP) Yorkshire Wine School has been certified to offer this qualification as part of the UK's Qualifications and Credits Framework which is accredited by OfQual
'Thank you to you Laura. Excellent teacher, excellent course!' (Berenice, WSET Level 1 Jan 2013)
Note: upcoming dates are at the bottom of this page.
Who should consider studying WSET Level 1?
1. The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is intended to establish the basic skills and product knowledge required in the service and retail of wine; it is ideal for preparing a person for their first job in hospitality or retail.
2. This course is also a good introductory first course for the wine enthusiast who wishes to study in a structured way: the qualification will cover skills such as identifying wine styles, practice of storing and serving wine, and food and wine matching.
No previous experience of Wine Tasting is necessary to register on this course.
Not sure if this is the right level for you? Click on the book to view the Course Specification including sample exam questions.
- Wine Tasting : Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Social Responsibility : A guide to sensible drinking
- Types and Styles of Wine : Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
- Main white grape varieties : Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Main black grape varieties : Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named Wines : White: Pinot Grigio, Muscadet, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes
- Red: Claret, Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Number of Wines Tasted : 12 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive the Level 1 in Wines Workbook
- Course Specification: Those who wish to review the course specification in preparation for the course can view it by Clicking Here
- Duration of course : 1 day inclusive of examination
- Examination : 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Course Tutors: Laura Kent and Richard Fisher
Laura is an Certified WSET Educator, she has completed all the levels of the WSET programme including the WSET Diploma (Level 4) in 2011. She has extensive experience within the wine industry as a retailer and as part of various restaurant and bar management teams which she brings to many aspects of delivering these professional qualifications. Laura was shortlisted as WSET's Global Educator of the Year in 2017.
Rich is a highly experienced sommelier, working with the Gusto brand of Living Ventures. He brings his passion for customer service and staff training to YWS. Rich is a Certified Sommelier at the Court of Master Sommeliers (Level 2) and is currently studying for his WSET Level 4 diploma in Wines.
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is ideal starting point for anyone who is considering embarking on a
Places remaining: 0
Date/Time: 11th Jan 2020 at 10am-6pm
Venue: Radisson Blu, The Light
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is an ideal starting point for anyone who is considering
Places remaining: 12
Date/Time: 22nd Feb 2020 at 10am-6pm
Venue: Radisson Blu, The Light