WSET Level 1 Award Wine £135
Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses provide globally recognised qualifications which are suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts. As a WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP) Yorkshire Wine School has been certified to offer this qualification as part of the UK's Qualifications and Credits Framework which is accredited by OfQual
'Thank you to you Laura. Excellent teacher, excellent course!' (Berenice, WSET Level 1 Jan 2013)
Note: upcoming dates are at the bottom of this page.
Who should consider studying WSET Level 1?
1. The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is intended to establish the basic skills and product knowledge required in the service and retail of wine; it is ideal for preparing a person for their first job in hospitality or retail.
2. This course is also a good introductory first course for the wine enthusiast who wishes to study in a structured way: the qualification will cover skills such as identifying wine styles, practice of storing and serving wine, and food and wine matching.
No previous experience of Wine Tasting is necessary to register on this course.
Not sure if this is the right level for you? Click on the book to view the Course Specification including sample exam questions.
- Wine Tasting : Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Social Responsibility : A guide to sensible drinking
- Types and Styles of Wine : Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
- Main white grape varieties : Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Main black grape varieties : Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named Wines : White: Pinot Grigio, Muscadet, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes
- Red: Claret, Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Number of Wines Tasted : 12 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive the Foundation Certificate Study Guide
- Course Specification: Those who wish to review the course specification in preparation for the course can view it by Clicking Here
- Duration of course : 1 day inclusive of examination
- Examination : 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Course Tutors: Laura Kent
Laura is an Certified WSET Educator, she has completed all the levels of the WSET programme including the WSET Diploma (Level 4) in 2011. She has extensive experience within the wine industry as a retailer and as part of various restaurant and bar management teams which she brings to many aspects of delivering these professional qualifications.
Sophia is the newest member of the YWS WSET team. She completed her WSET Level 3 Award in 2015 at the Wine School and acheived a Distinction in both the Theory and Tasting elements of the exam. She is now a registered WSET Tutor for both Levels 1 and 2. Sophia has worked in wine merchants such as Manchester's Hanging Ditch and Harrogate's The Champagne Concept, as well as spending many summers working on her family's vineyard in Nova Scotia, Canada. Sophia brings her experience of working within different parts of the trade to the WSET courses which she teaches for YWS.
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is ideal starting point for anyone who is considering embarking
Places remaining: 4
Date/Time: 2nd Jul 2017 at 10am-6pm
Venue: Ham & Friends, 7 Merrion Street, Leeds