Saturday France Vs New World Tasting with Lunch (York)
Our fab Saturday format will showcase one of our most popular tastings at YWS: France vs New World. During our session you'll learn how to taste the difference between the classic wines of France and the modern styles of Australia, South America and South Africa. By comparing the same grape variety, grown in different countries, you'll see what a dramatic role climate and growing environment can make to a wine.
Our tasting will feature wines tasted in pairs e.g.
- Champagne vs New World Fizz
- Vouvray vs South African Chenin Blanc
- Red Bordeaux ('Claret') vs Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Cotes du Rhone vs Mclaren Vale Grenache
We always find this kind of comparative tasting highlights the differences for people in a very immediate and understandable way- it's the best kind of learning there is! Your WSET-qualified wine tutor will be on hand to explain these differences and give you more confidence in selecting wines for yourself in the future- by helping you to understand your own preferences. Areas which we'll be teaching about include:
- How to taste wine like a pro (we'll make sure everyone is equipped with some tasting technique before we begin)
- How wine is influenced by the growing conditions of the vines (i.e. why the same grape variety tastes different in different parts of the world)
- Which wines are likely to better suited to food and wine pairing
- How and why are wines labelled differently in France vs The New World?
We'll finish our day with a pair tasted blind- just to demonstrate how much you've learnt!
This wine tasting day is fabulous fun for wine beginners and more seasoned enthusiasts alike, comparing and contrasting wines to learn a little more about your own tastes. Not only will you taste 12 high quality wines including Champagne, as part of your day, but there is also a delicious two course lunch prepared specially by the Hotel du Vin bistro to enjoy!
Our Saturdays are very popular as gifts, so if you want to book this for the wine lover in your life then simply use the 'Send me a Gift Voucher' option on your confirmation email after you have placed your booking. Alternatively, you can book an open Gift Voucher and let the recipient book a date of their choice.
Places remaining: 10
Course Date/Time: Sat 13th Apr 2019 at 11am-4pm
Duration: 5 hours
Venue: Hotel du Vin, 88 The Mount