Saturday Masterclass: Rioja vs Ribera del Duero (Leeds)
A battel royale between arguably Spain's two greatest red wine producing regions; the two king's of Tempranillo, it's Rioja vs Ribera! Both regions are revered with their world class examples of barrel aged red wines with explosions of red and black fruit flavours married to warming spicy notes of vanilla, chocolate and coconut. If you love big red wines, this is the tasting for you!
For many decades, Rioja has been considered the premium wine producing region in Spain, but then up popped Ribera del Duero in the 1980's to challenge for the crown. Our tasting will provide a fascinating insight in to the history behind each region, seeking to shine a light on the historic and stylistic inspirations behind these two kings of Tempranillo. As much as we will be showcasing what Rioja and Ribera have in common, we are keen to stress the differences between the two. They may grow the same grape variety but the philosophies behind each region are quite different.
Who better to tell this story than YWS's very own Laura Kent, having been invited to go and work in both Rioja and Ribera del Duero for 3 of the last 4 years she has forged many links with the bodega and been privy to plenty of the regions secrets. She'll cover everything between the two in a fascinating head-to-head tasting format as follows:
- Rioja Cava vs Ribera Cava (we have sourced the ONLY bodega to produce a Cava in Ribera del Duero, otheriwse unavailable in the UK)
- Rioja Rosado vs Ribera Rosado (very much the local's drink in Spain, discover the style- drier than New World roses but fruitier than most French examples)
- Rioja Joven vs Ribera Joven (discover some very different approaches to the respective region's young wines)
- Rioja Crianza vs Ribera Crianza (the price difference between these two young aged wines is often vast... is it worth spending more to get something from Ribera or not?)
- Rioja Reserva vs Ribera Reserva (the category that Rioja is so well-known for in the UK, will the YWS old favourite carry the day?)
- Rioja Gran Reserva vs Ribera Gran Reserva (Ribera Gran Reserva's are rare as hen's teeth, even in the region, and their price tag lifts them out of all most the most ardent of Spanish wine lovers, come and see what Laura has managed to bring back for our grand finale!)
As with all our Saturday Masterclasses the presentation and tasting will be at the highest level as it's a once in a lifetime tasting for many of our most experienced students. We have a very few places left for other keen Spanish wine lovers and we would love to save you a seat at this very prestigeous tasting.
All our Saturday Masterclasses include 12 wines to taste and a two course lunch in the middle of the day for you to enjoy.
Places remaining: 8
Course Date/Time: Sat 2nd Feb 2019 at 11 am - 4 pm
Duration: 5 hours
Venue: Radisson Blu, The Light, Leeds